Promotion & Advertising

The Clubs & Activities Office holds a Community & Belonging Fair each fall and a Clubs Fair each spring. These are one-day gatherings of campus clubs on the UC Quad,  which provide an excellent opportunity for clubs to advertise, solicit new members, raise funds, or hold demonstrations of club activities. These usually take place the third Wednesday of each semester. Active Clubs are notified of the dates and given the sign-up information during the first week of each semester.

Besides these two large events, there are other opportunities for clubs to table on the quad, including Fall Preview and Spring Preview. Clubs & Activities Office staff make every effort to notify club officers when there is an opportunity to promote their club. 

Share Your News and Events on Campus and Beyond

There are many ways for campus groups to publicize their news and events at HSU. These include submitting information to digital services on campus, seeking media coverage, creating posters and flyers, utilizing the campus radio stations and the student newspaper, and more.

For a full list of different resources, visit the HSU Marcom “Word Out Marketing Guide”:

Flyers and Other Promotion Opportunities

  1. Flyers posted around campus on bulletin boards must each have a stamp from the University Center Information Desk. Please review University Center Bulletin Board Policy, available at the UC info counter or below under additional campus policies.

  2. All printed promotion for concerts or dances must say “18 and over or HSU ID required” unless given special permission by the Clubs & Activities Coordinator, Risk Manager, and Facility Manager.

  3. All flyers must have club name and contact number listed.

  4. All flyers should contain the following accessibility statement:

  • "Persons who wish to request disability related accommodations should contact the (club name and contact person) at (club phone) or email at (club email) as soon as possible. Some accommodations may take up to several weeks to arrange."

  • The Clubs & Activities Office provides:

    • Announcements via University Notices

    • A calendar of activities on the website.

    • Chalking, Staking & Sandwich Board Signs 

    • Newsletter to Club Leaders

    Banners & Chalking

    Banner making and chalking materials are available through the Clubs & Activities Office (banner paper, large paint markers, colored chalk, stencils, etc.). These supplies are for recognized campus clubs wishing to advertise club related activities, publicize their club name, or for tabling. As a courtesy, the Clubs & Activities Office provides space for clubs to store their banners so they may re-used, rather than re-created throughout the year. 

    Clubs may choose to promote their club/club event by hanging a banner on railings surrounding the quad. There are a limited number of banner spaces allocated for use, so banner reservations must be made at the UC information Desk (707-826-4414). Each club is restricted to ten business days of banner space per semester. In the event that all club spaces are reserved, clubs may still submit banners to the Information Desk. They will be posted in the event of a cancellation or no-show of another banner.

    Banner Use Guidelines 

    Due to space limitations, the following guidelines must be adhered to:

    1. Banners may only be used to publicize special events open to and held primarily for the campus community.

    2. Banners may NOT be used to endorse political parties, candidates, or initiatives, including items pertaining to Associated Students elections.

    3. Banners must be larger than 2’ x 3’ but may not exceed 3’ x 5.5’ to advertise on the UC building

    4. Paper used to make banners must be at least equivalent in weight to butcher paper.

    5. Banners must be dry when submitted to the Information Desk.

    6. Banner space may be reserved up to one (1) academic semester in advance of the event. Banners may be submitted without a reservation; however, there is no guarantee they will be posted.

    7. Banners should be submitted to the UC Information Desk no later than 4:00 p.m. the weekday prior to the requested day of posting.

    8. In the event of inclement weather (wind, rain, etc.) banners will not be posted. Days that banners are not able to be posted still count as part of the ten-day limit.

    9. Banner materials are available for club use through the Clubs and Activities Office located in the South Lounge.

    10. The sponsoring club/organization’s name must be on the banner. Banners without the sponsor’s name will not be posted.

    11. Reservations for a banner space should be made well in advance of the event through the University Center Information Counter (707-826-4414).

    Tabling on the UC Quad

    HSU clubs and organizations interested in tabling on campus  must complete an event request through their club’s OrgSync page [choose “Create an Event” button on clubs portal in OrgSync]. Once the request is approved, come to the Clubs & Activities Office to check out the key to the tabling closet where the tables are stored.

    General Tabling Rules 

    • Tabling is only allowed between 9am – 5pm, Monday through Friday

    • Tables cannot block walkways

    • Tabling may not be used to hock or pawn

    • If another organization has reserved the UC Quad, they receive priority for the space and get to determine how the space is utilized. 

    Recognized Clubs and Organizations Tabling
    • Recognized Campus Clubs or Organizations must complete an Event Request [choose “Create an Event” button on clubs portal in OrgSync] through their Club’s OrgSync page and reserve one of the 13 tabling slots available. 

    • Any club that is conducting any type of financial transactions, fundraising activity, or participating in food handling must indicate those processes on the event request [choose “Create an Event” button on clubs portal in OrgSync]. All required trainings, certificates, and approvals MUST be completed before tabling can occur. 

    • Clubs who intend to provide general distribution of materials (no sales, fundraising, or food handling) may be granted permission to table on the same day they submit the request. For example: handing out information about the club or an upcoming event.

    • Clubs may not use state resources to endorse individual political candidates.

    Non-Profit On Campus Tabling
    • Off campus groups or individuals are allowed to table on the UC quad as long as they are not selling anything or promoting a business. These groups must follow the general tabling rules as stated above and must supply their own table.

    • All off campus non-profit organizations need to complete the tabling form for Non-Profit Solicitors, provide Proof of Insurance that meets the CSU requirements, lists HSU as additionally insured, and has the insurer provide or sign an endorsement. If they are not able to provide this insurance, the non-profit organization can request an exemption from the Director of Risk Management. 

    For-Profit On Campus Tabling
    • For-profit groups or individuals will only be permitted to table during the first three weeks of the semester.

    • There is a charge of $100 per day for these groups to table on the Quad

    • All off campus for-profit organizations need to complete the tabling form,  provide Proof of Insurance that meets the CSU requirements, lists HSU as additionally insured, and has the insurer provide or sign an endorsement.

    • For the complete Quad Policy please visit the Student Affairs Website at:

    Tabling other places at HSU

    If clubs would like to table in other spaces on campus, they must obtain appropriate approval from the designated building coordinator. Clubs must work with the Clubs & Activities Office, and our staff will direct them what to do and who to contact for approval. For any sales of product or food, please refer to the “Clubs Financial Handbook”.


    Clubs may have a mix of color and black and white 8 1/2” x 11” photocopies made (up to 100 B&W copies OR 20 color copies per year) free of charge. This photocopying is limited to flyers and advertisements for events or meetings and does not include photocopies of internal club documents. 

    Clubs & Activities Office will print office forms free of charge for clubs. For example: release of liabilities, donation forms, club accounting form, etc. We also have lamination services available for up to 20 per year.

    Steps to requesting copy services:

    1. Bring in/email flyer to the Clubs & Activities Office.

    2. Let the Clubs & Activities Office know how many copies you are requesting, and whether they should be printed in color or black and white.

    3. Let the Clubs & Activities Office know when you’d like to pick up your copies. Clubs are responsible for picking up their own copies.

    4. All Club fliers posted on campus bulletin boards must be stamped at the University Center Info Desk before they can be posted on campus.

    *Once you have reached your 100 free copy limit at the Clubs & Activities Office you will then be responsible to pay for photocopies elsewhere. 

    Per CSU mandate, printing paid for with State or Student Fee money must be contracted through HSU Marketing and Communications Department (Marcom), this excludes pay for print stations around campus.. If Marcom is not able to meet the club’s needs, the club can request an exception to print with an outside vendor, which must be approved prior to printing.  Marcom charges  can be direct billed to the club account. Please visit their website for more info on available services and costs at:

    University Notices

    Clubs may advertise their events via the weekly “University Notices”. You can submit a University Noticed Request Form at: University Notice submissions must be received in the Clubs & Activities Office by 4PM in order to be included in that Friday’s announcements. Clubs may choose to repeat notices, but a request must be submitted to the Clubs & Activities office each time.  Due to student and staff concerns about “junk mail,” the University is extremely selective in approving University notices; submitting a request does not guarantee publication..

    Your request must comply with the following criteria in order to be approved:

    1. It must pertain to official University business.

    2. It must pertain to the majority of the student body.

    3. It must be a campus-wide event.

    4. It cannot be used for fundraising or solicitation.

    5. It cannot publicize regular club meetings.

    Use of HSU Name or Symbol

    Officially recognized student organizations may use the University’s name and logo in conformity with campus policies. The acceptable manner to use them are: “Humboldt State University,” “Humboldt State,” and “HSU.”

    Here are some good logo usage guidelines and all the marks are downloadable here. The University Seal is not available for use, but the secondary seal is. Information about which campus groups can or cannot have custom logos is found here.

    Anytime a club is using the HSU logo or the words “Humboldt State University,” “Humboldt State,” and “HSU”, you will have to get approval from before it can be used. If a club decides to modify one of the logo marks in some way, it will not be approved.

    Please visit Marketing and Communications website for Campus graphic identity standards, to retrieve downloadable HSU wordmarks, and ways to facilitate marketing: 

    The HSU Brand:

    The HSU Marketing guide:

    Chalking/Staking/Sandwich Board Approvals

    Chalking may be done on a limited basis and must first be approved by the Clubs & Activities Office and Facilities Management. Application for chalking must be submitted five [5] business days in advance (some exceptions may apply). Only “sidewalk chalk” may be used and there are limits as to where on campus you can chalk. Please stop by the Clubs & Activities Office to pick up the permit and find out all of the details of the approval process. Your event must be approved before you can advertise it with chalking, staking or sandwich board signs. 

    After completion of the advertised event, clubs are responsible for cleaning up the chalk with a scrub brush and water. The Clubs & Activities Office has a bucket and scrub brush that can be used to remove chalking. If chalking happens in unpermitted areas or isn’t cleaned within 48 hours of the event, a club could lose its chalking privileges. The Clubs & Activities Office can revoke chalking privileges at any time and may institute no chalking days.

    Staking Posters

    Staking may be done on a limited basis and must first be approved by the Clubs & Activities Office and by Facilities Management.  Application for chalking must be submitted five [5] business days in advance (some exceptions may apply). There are limits as to where on campus you can stake. There are also time limits for staking. Please stop by the Clubs & Activities Office to pick up the staking permit and find out all of the details. After completion of the advertised event, clubs are responsible for removing all the stakes.

    Staking (Housing)

    Housing has their own staking policies and approval forms. Please contact them directly at 707-826-3451.

    Sandwich Board Signs

    A limited number of A-Frame Sandwich Board Signs are available for check-out from the Clubs & Activities Office.  Application for posting these boards must be submitted five [5] business days in advance (some exceptions may apply). The Clubs & Activities Office will provide markers, and signs must be created at the Clubs & Activities Office. As with chalking and staking, there are designated places where signs can be placed. Please stop by the Clubs & Activities Office to pick up the permit and find out all of the details. Sandwich Board signs must be returned to the Clubs & Activities Office each evening before 5 PM. Sandwich boards cannot be kept out in the rain.

    Posting in Residence Halls

    Clubs may leave 12 approved posters at the Housing Office located on the second floor of the Jolly Giant Commons. These will be placed in each display cabinet in the residence halls; additionally, you may leave a stack of up to 100 approved flyers to be posted on each floor on a space available basis. Flyers posted directly in the residence halls and/or Jolly Giant Commons without approval from Housing, or flyers without the approved university stamp, will be removed from the halls. In addition, any large banners on the 1st or 2nd floor of the JGC must be approved by the Housing Office (707-826-3451).

    Housing and Dining Monitors 

    You may be able to advertise on the large monitors in the J, the Depot, and other dining areas by emailing: and in housing by emailing: Flyers must be converted to a Jpeg or powerpoint slides.

    Promoting events through the Lumberjack Newspaper and El Lenador

    Clubs may promote their events or meetings in the calendar section free of charge. Contact the Lumberjack Office (Gist Hall 227) at 707-826-3271 or El Lenador at Publication is not guaranteed due to space limitations and make sure to watch the publication dates online. You may also purchase ad space in the Lumberjack and El Lenador.


    Your club may decide to publish a newsletter or brochure for distribution. It is important that you include the following disclaimer The views in this publication by (club name) do not necessarily reflect those of Humboldt State University.”  This must be included in all publications, even if the newsletter is intended only to be distributed to club members.

    Off-Campus Advertising

    The City of Arcata has installed kiosks around the downtown area that can be used for publicizing events. Many local merchants will display posters and flyers in storefront windows also. Please check with the reception personnel of these merchants before posting or leaving flyers and brochures. It is illegal to post materials on utility poles or other private property without the permission of the owner.